Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lost in Thought (-ish)

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary (my favorite source for all things wordy), "reverie" has two meanings:  a daydream or the condition of being lost in thought.  Of late, I have definitely not been daydreaming.  After finishing the applications for phase II of the internship match process early this month, I then had several obligations arise simultaneously, namely doing a series of short pieces for the soundtrack of my daughter's stop-motion animation project (very fun), grading a stack of undergraduate case conceptualizations (double-plus unfun), working on a paper presentation (fun, but recently canceled), and reformulating my dissertation (more fun than it sounds).  All of these projects demanded a fair amount of time- and brain-cycles, so perhaps "lost in thought" is closer to where I've been. 

They also preempted the work I was doing on the next piece I want to post.  It's something I've been working on since January and, although it's an arrangement rather than an original composition, it has been a lot of fun, not least because it's taking a shape that is dramatically different from what I had in mind when I started it.  The pleasures has been in taking the risk of following a timbral thread that started accidentally -- and which seems to be working.  You all will be the judges of whether that is actually the case, but conducting the experiment has been interesting in the interim.  I hope to have the outcome of my reverie up here in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment