Sunday, March 6, 2011

In Three II

Okay, so the whole raison d'ĂȘtre of this site is to serve as a public repository of some of my creative output. It's taken a while to get the software necessary to upload this working, but, at last, I seem to have figured it out (and not, of course, without some key assistance from my daughter).


This is something I more or less tossed off in a fit of experimentation last Christmas when I couldn't sleep (no, I wasn't waiting for Santa). To pass the insomnia productively, I decided to spend some time learning to use a new open-source digital audio workstation I had run across (Linux Multimedia Studio) and this was the result.  Later, when I upgraded to another DAW (Tracktion 3), I was able to rebuild the piece essentially identically because both LMMS and Tracktion 3 were compatible with the plug-in softsynth in which the voices had been built (ZynAddSubFX) and the MIDI was pretty basic.  For the record, the voices are not my creations, although I did tweak some; Tracktion 3 also allowed me to play with some other parameters and to polish it up a bit.  In the end, I was pleased with the result and so it's the first piece I'm sharing here.  Stravinsky it ain't -- nor even Roger Waters, whose idea (an old favorite from "Meddle") was the inspirational germ -- so judge it gently, but I hope you enjoy it.

I have several other pieces in the pipeline, although, with the semester end approaching, it seems likely that their completion will be slow in coming.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to see you doing this. I know how important music is to you. I like the piece. Different. (Especially from the kind of stuff I'm normally engaged in.) I look forward to hearing more.
    From G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff - sounds like you're having some good clean fun. I wish you could upload it without the "visualizer" - a static graphic of your choice or design would be much preferable, if they're going to require video format. (Allowing MP3 uploads would put them under much higher scrutiny by RIAA, I'm guessing.)

    Thanks for sharing your work! Keep it up. Are you using keyboard? Are you considering hooking up the 5-string for some input?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you. It's pretty scary putting my stuff out there, so your support helps.

    Tom, I do have plans for the 5-string and have been playing a bit, although there are technical issues with getting audio from it into an .mp3 (the computer with the soundcard allowing input is currently otherwise assigned).

    ReplyDelete