Monday, January 2, 2012

Losing Tracktion but Getting Logical

Well, thanks to some generous holiday gifts, I have been blessed with a bit of mad money and, nearly as quickly as it came, I have sent it on its merry way to fetch me a copy of Apple's premiere DAW, Logic Pro.  I have read nearly everything I could find online about it and even asked some questions on the user forums (Whoohoo! I can write in 23/64 time if I want!) before deciding to take the plunge.  I've been downloading chunks of the suite for an hour and a half already and it looks like there's still another two hours to go before it's all loaded.  Yes, it's big. 

The main parts of the program are up already though, so, by way of exploring, I opened up a GarageBand piece in it (Nine).  It sounds pretty much the same, although the dynamic range seems a bit broader (I'm assuming that's artifactual and not part of the upgrade as such).  Looking at the interface, I think I know what most of it does, but there is so clearly so much more going on, so many more control points and options, so much greater power and flexibility, that I now feel lost. 

Tomorrow is my first day back at the counseling center and we've got lots of post-vacation catching up to do this week, so I don't expect to driving this mûmak of a program too quickly.  However, I have a new piece I've been working on over vacation that seems much better suited to the depth of control that Logic provides than what was available in the three DAWs I started out on (LMMS, Tracktion, and GB), so I already have something to use it for and will definitely be diving in as soon as I can.  Meanwhile, Apple has lots of tutorials to help me get my bearings.  Very exciting to start the new year with a DAW that I feel like I can really grow with! 

No comments:

Post a Comment