Sunday, September 29, 2019

Getting on the Band(camp)wagon

My first album!  It's field recordings; I'm fairly pleased with it.  I learned a lot and look forward to sharing more of my output on Bandcamp.



Below are the notes I originally had on the Bandcamp site, but decided they were more personal than I wanted there. 

In the summer of 2019, I moved into a house in suburban Baltimore County and rediscovered some forgotten parts of myself.  As a child, I had lived on a series of Air Force bases, which mostly were pretenders to suburbia, but military culture prevented their full absolution.  We finally moved “off base” when I was 12, settling into an archetypally suburban development on what was then the outskirts of Albuquerque; I lived in that house for nine years and it became my template for home.  The first house I bought, after living in a series of increasingly urban environments, was technically in the suburbs of New York City, but the fact was that our little oasis in the metropole was exactly that:  the exception to the norm.  My second house was in a much more typically suburban neighborhood, a lovely Levittown clone northwest of DC.  I lived there for a brief and tumultuous five years before abandoning it in a divorce; it would be another seven before, rather unexpectedly, I found myself reconnecting in a healthy and welcome way with my suburban roots in the north of Baltimore.  In these field recordings, I hope to convey the nostalgia, the relief, and the reconnection that I have discovered here.

No comments:

Post a Comment